Sign In Forgot Password

History of Ohav Emeth

PDF

1918

Congregation Ohav Emeth -- or "O.E." as it is known in Highland Park/Edison alphabet soup language -- was formed in 1918 in New Brunswick. Its full name was Congregation Ohav Emeth Anshe Ungarn (Lover of Truth of the Hungarians).

1967 - 1999

Rabbi Eliezer Kaminetzky became our Rabbi in 1967, and in 1973 the location was moved to the Rabbi's home in Highland Park. In 1977 the present shul building was purchased and in 1983 the new building was finished. Rabbi Kaminetzky retired in 1999 and now serves the Congregation as Rabbi Emeritus.

1999 - Present 

Along with a New Year in Tishrei 5760, Congregation Ohav Emeth has begun a new chapter in its history with the appointment of Rabbi Eliyahu D. Kaufman as our new Morah D'asrah. 

Congregation Ohav Emeth is located in the geographic center of the Highland Park / Edison observant community in New Jersey. Our membership spans the range of halacha-committed Jews, with an attitude of achdut (unity) and religious tolerance. We share a love for Medinat Yisrael and a serious commitment to Torah study for every age and gender and at every level. We have a multitude of ongoing educational and social programs as well as frequent special events.

With our neighboring (walking distance) community of Edison, we are a large and still growing community that has all the necessities and conveniences of modern Jewish life. Completely enclosed by an Eruv, the Highland Park community has a Mikvah as well as three Yeshiva Day Schools and two Yeshiva High Schools. Highland Park offers a Glatt Kosher grocery, a grill-type meat restaurant, a bakery, a Pizza/Middle Eastern dairy restaurant, a sushi restaurant, Dunkin' Donuts, several ice cream stores and a candy store all under the supervision of the Vaad HaRabbanim of Raritan Valley.

Highland Park has easy access to all major New Jersey roadways and public transportation, and is less than an hour's commute from NYC.

 

Fri, December 14 2018 6 Tevet 5779